Wednesday, June 2, 2010

^ north adventures

In my mind it's officially summer.
We opened up the cottage. We lived in the lake. We boated. We camp-fired it.
All the essential ingredients to beginning summer!

It truly was a blessed Memorial Day weekend. It was exciting to spend time with family and to truly be brought together by such a magical place. The majority of my favorite memories reside in the depth of Elk Lake and up north, and for them I will forever be grateful.

This Memorial Day weekend was especially lovely since it's the first one my family has been a part of in many years. Usually their's been grad party's to get ready for, or other end-of-the-year festivities that haven't allowed us to go up. And well, usually it feels more like fall outside. With it being nearly 90 degrees, Grandpa turned the air on and the lake was like bath water.

As silly as it may sound, going up north as we did gave me hope for summer. I think with so many sudden changes at the end I've just been rather distant from the idea of things feeling too promising or too-good-to-be true, but I know that this could never be the case about up north: )

I was blessed with the opportunity to have my dear friend Kirsten visit, and it just brightened up summer. I hadn't gotten to share my favorite place in the world with a friend in years, and it just was a really special opportunity. We ate ice cream, paddle-boated, swung, enjoyed my uncle's homemade fireworks, and chatted like chickadees. It was lovely.

I was blessed to spend lots of time with my sister and mom-- my sun partners in crime. We enjoyed being down by the lake, walks/runs, and campfires. I also enjoyed sitting on the swing with Grandpa and Gladys, and playing peek-a-boo with my little cousin. We also sang "If I had a million dollars" with my cousin Al strumming the guitar.

Simple. Small. True.
Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment